Sunday, September 28, 2008

Journal Entry #1

In reflecting on one of my past assignments I realized that the situation that made me want to respond in writing was that I was mad at my girlfriend, and that I had some stuff to say in writing that I could not say in person. I chose to respond in writing because it was easier for me to tell her everything that I wanted to tell her, and I had time to think about what I was saying and not sound ignorant. The type of genre that I used was Contemporary Life and Problems. I used this genre to let her know that she was not the only one with problems. My girlfriend was my audience and the type of relationship that I was trying to establish with her was romance, and problem solving. My purpose agian was to let her know that she was not the only one with problems. And yes I do feel as if I accomplished this purpose. The type of context and culture that I used in writing her this letter was "new age slang". Thinking about my writing as responding to a “rhetorical situation” is different from the other ways I think about the writing I did because it is easier to reflect and answer questions about something that you have written.

No comments: